Hello and Welcome to my Blog ~ I love art of all kinds. Two of my favorites are polymer clay and paper art. I have shops on Etsy that feature both of my passions. I also love writing my blog and finding artists that have a passion for their craft and feature them. I hope your day is filled with sunshine, laughter and loads of creativity.


Monday, June 6, 2011

Unique Polymer Clay Light Switch Covers

Sandy's Creations in Clay ~ Sandy Prenzi

This Steampunk piece I created as a challenge for my Etsy Polymer Clay Enthusiasts Team. It was my first attempt at covering a wall outlet and found it so simple to create. I used the heavy duty plastic plate that was already there and went by the polymer clay manufacturers directions for curing it.

I did have to use a longer screw however, to put it back on my wall. I have it in my kitchen and it is fully functional.

I am planning on making more unique covers as they are fun to make and very whimsical.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Cheryl Dolby Originals


Cheryl Dolby, a native of Warren, Ohio, now resides in Roanoke, VA, where after spending 15 years as a stained glass artist, teacher, and shop owner, became interested in clay sculpture. Her interest soon became an obsession and since 1984 she has exhibited her sculpture at shows and galleries throughout the country.
Cheryl's four books and other artwork can be viewed and purchased from her etsy shop. You can see more of her work at Cheryl Dolby Originals.

Alicia's Creations
All artwork and jewelry seen here is hand sculpted by clay artist Alicia Merritt.
Alicia's passion for parrots is evident in every unique piece of jewelry she sculpts. http://www.parrotjewelry.com/lightswitchplates.html
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tobi Liedes-Bell
covers laid with polymer clay
In Tobi's own Words:
About five years ago, I discovered, quite by accident, polymer clay. I really didn't know what to make of it at first, but then I discovered Christi Friesen's books and she's been an inspiration to me ever since.

You can see more of Tobi's creations a
t: http://artsbytobi.com/aboutme.ht

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tutorial by: Syndee Holt

  • Pearl Ex Pigments (as many colors as you like)
  • Premo! Sculpey black clay (one 2 ounce package per each switch cover)
  • Blank switch covers (I prefer the brass ones, but most plastic will work also.
  • Scratch Art Texture Sheets
  • Clay dedicated pasta machine or rolling pin to flatten the clay
  • Small paint brush
  • Small squirt bottle of water

Test your plastic switch cover in the oven at full temperature for baking the clay for about 5 minutes before proceeding with the decorating instructions).

Directions

  1. Lightly spray selected texture sheet with water, to act as a "mold release."
  2. Place flattened piece of conditioned clay on texture sheet and roll clay to emboss texture.
  3. If using pasta machine, roll clay through on widest setting, then roll through with texture sheet on same setting.
  4. Peel off clay and place textured side down.
  5. Place the original cover face down on clay and trim with 1/4" salvage.
  6. Wrap edges up around sides of cover and trim to back edge.
  7. Trim out area for switch and screws.
  8. Flip over and apply colors of Pearl Ex to the high points of the texture.
  9. Bake as directed on clay package and allow to cool...and install!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~





8 comments:

Trina Prenzi said...

I love your Steampunk light switch cover! Great work, and fun entry for the PCETeam Steampunk challenge!

You've featured some wonderful work here, I especially love that Parrot!

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

Thank you Trina,
I especially like the parrot too!

Knightwork Studio said...

Hi Sandy, love this article, I want to make switch covers for my kitchen and this is very helpful. Your stemapunk cover is wonderful....hummmm.. perfect colors for MY kitchen. and I love the parrot too! Thanks for sharing. Beej

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

You are so welcome BJ. Now that I did one I am anxious to do more. I thought I'd do one per room for now, but then who knows, I just may get on a kick and have the whole house covered. Hummm, I wonder just how many switches there are in this house. I love the parrot one too!

Melobeau said...

Sandy, Very cool switchplates, especially yours! Thanks for posting on the subject.

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

Thank you so much for the compliment Anita. I'm happy you liked my post.

angelosam123 said...

very cute light switches in pictures..thanks for post
Chrome Light Switches

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

You are so welcome Angelosami123, I love unique light switch covers.