Jewelry Artisans from Australia
Maria Psaltis is from Sidney and is a mother,wife and polymer clay artist. She also works with young people at risk.
You can visit her website at:
Antiqued African Style Bangle Handmade from Polymer Clay
Create a miniature art canvas with polymer clay shapes and accents such as beads and buttons. Use cookie cutters to help you create shapes with the clay and household items such a comb to create texture. This project comes to us compliments of Heidi Borchers for Inspired at Home.
- Polymer clay
- Canvas 4” x 4”
- Polymer clay
- Pasta machine (dedicated to clay use only) or a rolling pin on freezer paper
- Rubber stamps or texture sheets – assorted designs – or household utensils
- Baby powder (or cornstarch)
- Knife or clay type blade for cutting clay
- Cookie cutter for heart shape
- Non stick baking sheet (dedicated to clay use only)
- Acrylic paint - black
- Brush – ½” flat
- Rub ‘n Buff Metallic Paste - gold & silver
- Assorted beads, charms, and glass mirror pieces to embed into clay
- Aleene’s® Platinum Bond™ 7800 All-Purpose Adhesive
- Soften (condition) clay by running through pasta machine several times (or roll out with rolling pin). For final thickness you will need about 1/8’ thick.
- Place onto freezer paper or a non stick baking sheet while creating design. Determine and cut size, shape and placement in order for clay piece to fit on canvas.
- Prepare rubber stamps by sprinkling with baby powder and shake off excess. Carefully push prepared rubber stamp into clay. For heart shape, use a cookie cutter and cut out clay. Overlap pieces and press beads and charms or mirrors into clay.
- Roll out several long snake type pieces and flatten out. Imprint with lines using knife. Press around stamped heart, beads, charms and mirror pieces.
- Place clay piece in oven and bake according to package directions.
- When clay piece is cool, glue onto canvas. Let glue dry.
- Paint entire canvas and baked clay piece with black acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Apply Rub n Buff according to package directions. Let dry.