Hello and Welcome to my Blog ~ I love art of all kinds. Two of my favorites are polymer clay and paper art. I have shops on Etsy that feature both of my passions. I also love writing my blog and finding artists that have a passion for their craft and feature them. I hope your day is filled with sunshine, laughter and loads of creativity.


Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Rejects...

Today you are going to go deep into my inner sanctum and see my throw-a-ways. I think we all must have them. I don't even know why I keep them much less have pictures of them, It's not like I'm proud of them or anything like that.

The face on the left was one of my very first. At the time, I thought it was pretty gorgeous! Well, I think I would get laughed out of town if I said that now. Although, it does seem to have an Egyptian flare. Ummm, does that make the difference? Nooo, I don't think so.

On to the face on the right. Wow, what was I thinking!!! Boy, I remember like it was yesterday when I took that picture and put it on picasa. I thought the program would shut down and stop working altogether. I wish there was a button I could push on that program that would say reject, then
I'd know for sure that I wasted all that clay.

They weren't all pretty faces? (LOL) as you can see by the picture of the crazy looking elf wizard. Although I had fun creating him, I was really annoyed looking at him. He just didn't have what it takes to be a wizard. Now he just sits there trying very hard to convince me that he is a wizard.

This dog is another story. I can say in all honesty, he is pretty tacky. That is if you look into his eyes. (LOL) He has a cape, does that make him super dog? I don't think so, he has a heart, does that make him lovable? I don't think so, but he does have tacks, and rightly so because he is pretty darn tacky.

Okay, this was my first attempt at making a more life-like face. I gave up after this one, pretty bad don't you agree? I even went through all the trouble of gluing on the hair. Now, she's just a head on a stick.

"Create and Learn" that's my motto. I have been creating with polymer clay since May of 2010 and have learned a lot.

Some of the best lessons I learned are:

1) Take a picture of your creation before you bake it. (because if it doesn't look good on picasa, you've wasted all your clay.)You can also hold your creation up to a mirror, it does pretty much the same thing.

2 ) Just because you think it's a good idea, doesn't make it a good idea.

3 ) Photography is everything. (Make sure your lighting is right and you have a great background, the wanna-be wizard and tacky dog do not have the right background or lighting for that matter) oops, neither does the body-less lady.

4 ) Make sure your creations are well attached. I use toothpicks and armatures with a lot of mine after having a few problems with an arm or a leg.

Happy Claying Everyone.

4 comments:

Trina Prenzi said...

Thanks for sharing your rejects... We all have things that don't turn out quite like we've planned... I haven't taken many pictures of mine, but I have quite a few, and definitely learned from each one!! :) Good advice there at the end of your article.

Knightwork Studio said...

Boy can I relate! I have a a whole box full of items that I thought were wonderful when I made the... now I look at them and can't believe I actually showed them to people. That was was very brave of you Sandy, thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post so much. Everyone of us who creates, blogs, sells, and takes photos should be chuckling. I love your advice, so on target, but honestly, I like your 1st piece a lot. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :). . .

troods said...

I went to my first polymer clay workshop with the amazing Diane Villano. I am ridiculously new to the clay, but whatever mess I made, I will treasure forever. Treasure the "messes" they're all part of growth! I love your mistakes. I can't wait to get to that level!!