Hello and Welcome to my Blog ~ I love art of all kinds. Two of my favorites are polymer clay and paper art. I have shops on Etsy that feature both of my passions. I also love writing my blog and finding artists that have a passion for their craft and feature them. I hope your day is filled with sunshine, laughter and loads of creativity.


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Valentines Day is Fast Approaching

There are several versions of how Valentines day came about,
but the following two I found the most interesting.

The beginning, according to Belorussian oral tradition, states that the original Saint Valentine was spurned by the female he had chosen to court. Anguished, he cut out his own heart and sent it, still beating to her, as a testimony of his undying love.

Undying Love? (LOL) I don't think so!

One legend contends that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome. When Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers and outlawed marriage for young men. Valentine defied Claudius and continued to perform marriages for young lovers in secret. When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

Okay, I am seeing that Death was a precursor to Valentines Day, but today we don't connect it with death, we all know it as the day of love.

With Valentines Day fast approaching, you are probably in a polymer clay frenzy whipping up some hearts. Click this link and you will see some pretty awesome hearts all made with polymer clay.





Do you Remember those Vintage Valentine Cards?



How fun they were to give to your friends in elementary school. We would decorate a big box and for days before the Valentines party we would be filling it with the cards. We couldn't wait until the big day came and all the cards were handed out. Sometimes I'd get a card that wasn't signed and I'd wonder if that cute little boy might have sent it to me. Some of the cards had candy hearts enclosed, boy were they ever special.


These beautiful candy boxes were created with polymer clay
by some very talented Etsy Artisans




Valentine Polymer Clay Cupid Candy Box Brooch
From PinLady

A Valentine Cupid Candy Box Brooch Clay BY Raquel PINLADY

Valentine Key to my Heart Box

From MandarinMoon

Valentine Key to My Heart Trinket Keepsake Box
zoom
Valentine Key to My Heart Trinket Keepsake Box Valentine Key to My Heart Trinket Keepsake Box Valentine Key to My Heart Trinket Keepsake Box Valentine Key to My Heart Trinket Keepsake Box Valentine Key to My Heart Trinket Keepsake Box

Box of Candy Pin

From artsdaughter

Box of Candy Pin -v078

7 comments:

Trina Prenzi said...

Enjoyed your Valentines Day Post! Your two heart pendants are beautiful!

I love the work of each of the three Etsy Artisans you featured here today too! Beautiful work!

Melobeau said...

Enjoyed your Valentine tribute and heart treasury. Especially like the one with the pewter butterfly charm near the top of your post. Is it yours? Glad you are surviving your ice storm OK. Sounds horrible.

Loretta said...

Beautiful work!

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

Thank you Anita and yes the heart is mine. I made it for TAD. I am surviving the storm. My Granddaughter is here with me too. The power went out where she lives so we picked her up and we have been having a great time.

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

Thank you Loretta.

Sandy's Creations in Clay said...

Thank you Trina,I'm so happy you liked it.

Party supplies said...

I love this gifts for the Valentine Day. Valentines decorations | Valentine’s party